Saturday, July 23, 2011

Career Planning

Since I'm a Siberian Husky, I was bred to pull the humans and/or their equipment on sleds. This is a very important job if you live in an area where there is lots of snow, and vehicles have problems getting around. Personally, I have never pulled a sled, and I think that riding in the car is cool so I don't think I'm missing anything by not doing that job. In fact, I have another career watching out for my humans (heaven knows they don't have enough sense to watch out for themselves), working on my blog, my diary on dogster.com, and my blogs on http://www.silverscreenhub.com/ . I also try to herd my humans into their proper spot in the house so I can nap. That might sound like an easy job, but it is not. The humans tend to be uncooperative. For example, yesterday, my human brother took off with his friend instead of staying home with me. He didn't even ask my permission to go!!! I think that was very rude behavior. Anyway, other dogs have been bred for certain jobs too. Border collies and German Shepherds herd cattle and sheep. Pointers, labradors, retreivers, etc. were bred for hunting. Shih Tzus and Pomeranians were bred to be cute. Chihuahuas were bred to bark all the time. However, some dogs, like myself do not need to do the jobs we were bred to do so that is why I have other jobs that I do. This means that many of us dogs have to choose a career when we are a puppy. I know this is a tough decision. Whether to go on to college, just finish high school or even drop out of high school....these are all very big decisions. I thought I would do some research and make a suggestion based on my interviews with many differing dogs and their careers to see which career seemed best suited for the average dog and which they enjoyed the most. The paws down favorite was working on a garbage truck. Whether you are lucky enough to drive the truck or you happen to be the dog hanging by your paws on the back of the truck, it is a favorite among the dogs I interviewed. Of course, it does take a bit longer for them to do a garbage route than the humans because they have to stop and inspect each garbage bag. This is one reason it is such a cool job for a dog. You would not believe the goodies thrown away by the humans...left over food that is still delicious, bones, and even fun things that can be easily recycled into dog toys. I know many dogs who enjoy the "perks" of the job. One of my doggy pals, Hank* works on a garbage truck and he is one dog who really loves his job. He also benefits from the perks of the job. He has his wife follow his truck and at each stop, he loads the good stuff in her pickup truck. He keeps some of the garbage and his wife puts the rest on ebay. He has an ebay store called Dog's Pick of the Garbage, which is highly popular among us dogs. I myself have purchased many things from their store. Hank is a power seller, and has rave reviews from his buyers. I'll share one with you, and, keep in mind, this is a typical feedback for Hank. "Loved the Kleenex...they had the most interesting snot on them....A+++++ seller". As you can see, Hank has done well for himself, and the garbage truck job did not require a college education. Meanwhile, another dog, Jack*, chose to become a doctor. Did you know that Hank has managed to make just as much money as Jack because those perks really add up? If you are reading this and trying to make a career decision, I highly recommend the garbage truck job. If I didn't already have so much to do, I'd think about applying for that job myself.

*The names have been changed to protect the individual dog's privacy.

Demon Flash Bandit (Garbage is Fun)

No comments:

Post a Comment