Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dogs Are the Brains Behind Their Humans

I was reading about the legendary character in United States history, Johnny Appleseed, who travelled the frontier (which at that time was Ohio and surrounding area), planting apple trees. How many of these legends give credit to his faithful dog who accompanied him on his journey? A dog is never mentioned in the stories about him, but I contend that it was only natural that he had a dog to keep him company and to dig the holes where he planted his trees. If I were Johnny Appleseed, I would have named the dog Appledog. Perhaps Johnny would have come up with a more imaginative name, but if he had a dog, the dog does not get any credit for his or her efforts to help Johnny Appleseed, a fact which is typical. The dog does the work and the humans take the credit. Johnny was actually named John Chapman, and he did exist and plant many apple trees, and I'm sure the humans who benefited from eating those apples appreciated his efforts. It would be nice if dogs were remembered for our efforts instead of having the humans act like it was their idea. You know most humans wouldn't have enough sense to come in out of the rain if their dog didn't tell them to. I'm a dog so I know.

Demon Flash Bandit (Appledog is a Nice Name)

2 comments:

  1. But I like going out in the rain.....my humans do not though, maybe we are mixed up down here in Florida.
    ~husky kisses~
    -Kira The BeaWootiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the brains behind, in front of, and on either side too!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete