Friday, April 8, 2016

You Ain't Nothing but a Chipmunk


How many of my readers are familiar with the old television series, The Beverly Hillbillies, which aired about 50 years ago.  It was an entertaining show, and the humans on the show were good actors.  However, there is one character on that show who did an outstanding job.  Of course. I will tell you who he is: he is Duke, the hound dog.  Duke always gave a very regal performance on the show.  He graced the scenes with so much elegance whether he was napping or had to get up and walk around with Jed.  His name probably was not in the credits because, back then, dogs were often treated like animals.  Modern credits are longer than the show, and even feature the vendors who sold vegetables to the caterers.  Rumor has it that, within a decade, the credits will include credits for the audience.  Even Mrs. Drysdale's pampered poodle did not outdo old Duke.

Hounds were not "fancy dogs" like poodles.  Hounds were loyal companions to the humans.  Elvis Presley did not help the situation with his song, "You Ain't Nothing but a Hound Dog".  Why not "You Ain't Nothing but a Chipmunk or Squirrel"?

Music did become more understanding when the Beatles sang, "Its been a hard day's Night, and I've been working like a dog". When the Monkees sang, "I'm Gonna Buy me a Dog"........I still choke up when I hear that song!

I will close this blog by saying that Duke paved the way for future generation of dogs.  We love you Duke!

Demon Flash Bandit (Admirer of Duke)

No comments:

Post a Comment